If you come across an EBSCO eBook in the online catalog or through Discovery and you've never downloaded one before, there are a few steps you should complete first. For a better browsing experience you should be signed into your myEBSCO account and have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer. Instructions on these steps are found below.
Create an EBSCOhost account
EBSCO eBooks are checked out using EBSCOhost accounts, sometimes in combination with Adobe IDs
1. Visit any EBSCO Database (such as Discovery).
2. Click "Sign In" at the top of the window.
3. Sign in with your existing EBSCO account, or click "Create a new account."
Downloading Adobe Digital Editions (reads .acsm files)
Adobe Digital Editions is a free program that is used to authorize eBooks using your Adobe ID.
1. Visit http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/download.html and download Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Follow the installation steps and run the program. Create a new Adobe ID or log in with your existing account.*
3. From the EBSCO Database entry in your browser, click the "Download (offline)" link to download the .ascm file.
4. Open the file with Adobe Digital Editions.
*If you choose to authorize without an ID, ADE will enable reading of the book only on your computer. You will not be able to read it on other eReader devices or other computers (or the same computer if you re-install). If you don’t plan on moving your books to other computers (or re-installing), this approach will work for you.
Download the Bluefire Reader app (for Android and iPad)
Bluefire Reader is an app that supports Adobe eBook DRM and allows for easy access to eBooks that use Adobe IDs for authentication.
2. Open Bluefire Reader. Blue fire will ask you to authorize your app. Click authorize and enter your Adobe ID and password.