Helpful Research Guides
The MSU Libraries provide a wide variety of services and workshops designed specifically for graduate students.
- Research consultations provide graduate students the opportunity to work one-on-one with a librarian who can assist in identifying appropriate search strategies and research tools for any type of project. Request assist for a research consultation using the Ask-A-Librarian service.
- Librarians and Archivists in the Special Collections department, U.S. Grant Presidential Library and the Congressional and Political Research Center assist graduate student in identifying, locating and accessing primary resources.
- The Office of Thesis and Dissertation Format Review provides consultation services that assist graduate students with formatting and submitting their theses and dissertations.
- Interlibrary Loan services are provided to graduate students to assist in obtaining materials not owned by the MSU Libraries. The MSU Libraries subsidize the cost of delivery of articles including copyright fees to its graduate students.
- To further augment the collection, the Libraries maintain membership in the Center for Research Libraries (CRL). CRL supports advanced research and teaching in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences by preserving and making available to scholars the primary source material critical to those disciplines.
- The MSU Libraries provides workshops and seminars designed specifically for graduate students. Workshop series such as the Survival Skills for Graduate students offer targeted workshops on topics graduate students often struggle with at some point in their graduate careers. These sessions include a discussion of the dissertation and thesis process, strategies for developing a literature review, sessions on the development of a professional CV, research ethics and plagiarism issues in research, and an overview of the academic job search process. More general workshop often focus database strategies, options for using the bibliographic software EndNote and emerging technologies such as iPads and ebooks as part of the research process.
Other commonly used services include: